Monday 2 June 2008

Reading

Yesterday, Jerome and Martin came round to read through the first draft of the play. I was pretty nervous - the play's still too raw for me. I wrote it on Tuesday, and normally no one would see new stuff for at least a couple of weeks - particularly not the actors who have to bring these characters to life in a month's time. So I made an effort and softened them up with ginger biscuits. Always a good bet for a diabetic like Martin.

Readings can be tough for a writer. You've lived with these characters for months, and they instantly stop sounding like they did in your head. Some things are better, some things hurt. But I was very pleased with what the actors came up with. They work together very well, and a lot of the humour hit right off the page. Also, there's a benefit to the rawness - later on, good actors will make bad writing seem better than it is. The first read can teach you a lot about your script.

Yeah, I was pretty happy till I came upstairs to see Martin calling the Samaritans and Jerome deciding whether to jump.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

excellent photo!
sorry to hear that it's the end for them. But I'm sure that you'll be fine.
Love the poster, too.

Keep on writing... at least more blog entries